Progress Continues on the South End of the Tollway
• Work at the Wycliff Toll Plaza continues, although a large majority of the work is out of sight for most of our customers. The work at this time is occurring in the basement of the new operations building, as well as below the ground for the toll booth islands.
• Alterations to the northbound portions of the Maple Avenue/Knight Street and Wycliff Avenue bridges have been placed, and concrete paving of the roadway between these bridges has begun.
• Paving of the eastbound portion of Oak Lawn Avenue has begun. Grading for the northbound Tollway main lanes south of Maple Avenue has also begun, with paving to follow.
• Crews are now placing new wall panels on Oak Lawn Avenue and on the southbound Tollway wall from Cedar Springs to the Wycliff Toll Plaza.
• Now that crews have placed the bridge beams for the southern two-thirds of the Cedar Springs Bridge, they are preparing for the placement of the new bridge deck sometime by early May. This sets the stage for the reopening of Cedar Springs to two-way traffic in late May or early June. Demolition and reconstruction of the remaining bridge will begin immediately after the opening of the newly completed portions. The bridge work will result in two more complete “temporary” closures at the south end of the Tollway. One closure will be needed for the demolition of the existing bridge and another for the erection of the new bridge beams.
Substantial progress is being made. When everything is complete late next year, the improvements to the 40-year old southern part of the Tollway will provide streamlined traffic flow, additional safety enhancements and will relieve traffic congestion.
For more information and timely updates on this and other NTTA projects, please go to the NTTA Web site or call the NTTA Information Line at 214-224-3030.